After a long week , I need something quick and delicious for dinner – like this hamburger alternative steak sandwich. Super simple to prepare and very filling – and flat iron steak is easy on the wallet. Raining? No problem – I cooked our steak and onions (together) in a cast iron skillet and boiled the corn.
4 Tbsp. Butter
2 Ears of Corn
1 Red Onion
5 Parsley Sprigs
2 Hoagie Rolls
2 Flat Iron Steaks
4 Cheddar Cheese Slices
1 Tbsp. Dark Chili Powder
1 oz. Baby Arugula
- Heat outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Shuck corn and rinse. Peel onion and slice into 1⁄4” rounds. Stem and mince parsley. Halve hoagie rolls lengthwise. Rinse steaks and pat dry.
- Mix parsley and softened butter in a small bowl until smooth. Spray hot grill pan or outdoor grill with cooking spray. Spread half the herb butter on cut side of rolls (reserve remaining butter for corn) and grill 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Place two cheddar cheese slices on bottom half of each roll to melt.
- Season both sides of steaks with chili powder (to taste), 1⁄4 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper. Grill 4-5 minutes per side, or until steaks reach a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees. Remove steaks from grill, let rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice into 1⁄4” slices on an angle.
- Rub onions with 1⁄2 tsp. olive oil, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and grill 2-3 minutes per side, or until slightly charred. Remove from grill.
- Lightly oil corn with 1⁄2 tsp. olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Grill corn 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, or until slightly charred.
- Top bottom half of rolls with sliced steak, grilled onions and arugula. Cover with top half. Brush corn with reserved herb butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.