I totally phoned in dinner tonight, I mean it’s Thursday. Enough said.
If you have chicken and random vegetables, you will have a low calorie dinner you can make in 15 minutes that will have your family think you spent 20 on them.
2-4 Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning Blend
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Red Onion
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Orange Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Squash
- Mince garlic. Place Italian seasoning, garlic, 4 tsp. olive oil , 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper in a medium mixing bowl and mix together thoroughly. Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Add chicken breasts to bowl, toss to coat, and marinate at least 20 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, peel and halve onion. Cut halves into 1” dice. Stem, seed, and cut red bell pepper and orange bell pepper into 1’’ dice. Trim yellow squash and zucchini ends and cut each into ½” slices.
- Combine peppers, onions, zucchini, and squash in a medium mixing bowl and toss with 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Alternate vegetables on wooden skewers, and place assembled skewers on one half of prepared baking sheet.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a medium non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and add to hot pan. Cook 2 minutes per
side, or until lightly browned. Discard marinade.
- While chicken sears, cover exposed ends of skewers with foil. Broil 4 minutes, then carefully remove from broiler and flip skewers. Add seared chicken to other half of baking sheet and return to broiler 4-5 minutes, or until chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees and vegetables are tender. Watch vegetables and chicken carefully, as some broilers are hotter than others!
- Serve three skewers on a plate. Place chicken breast next to skewers and drizzle chicken with balsamic glaze.