2 Russet Potatoes
8 oz. Brussels Sprouts
2 Flat Iron Steaks
⅓ fl. oz. Balsamic Vinegar
2 fl. oz. Heavy Whipping Cream
⅗ oz. Butter
2 Tbsp. Bonewerks Classic Veal Demi-Glace
1 fl. oz. Sherry
¼ oz. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Peel and cut potatoes into large chunks. Bring a medium pot with potatoes and enough lightly salted water to cover to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 12-15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Trim bottoms off Brussels sprouts and halve vertically (quarter if larger than ping-pong balls). Rinse steaks, pat dry, and season both sides with ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Place a medium non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp. olive oil and Brussels, cut-side down, to hot pan. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until cut-sides are slightly charred and caramelized. Add 2 Tbsp. water and season with ½ tsp. salt. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes, or until Brussels are bright green. Add half the balsamic vinegar and toss. Taste, and add more balsamic if desired. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside on a plate. Wipe pan clean.
- Once potatoes are fork tender, drain in colander and return to pot. Add cream, butter, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
- Warm 1 tsp. olive oil in pan used to cook Brussels sprouts over medium-high heat. Add steaks to hot pan and cook 5-6 minutes on each side, or until steaks reach a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees. Remove from pan (no need to wipe clean) and let rest 5 minutes.
- In same pan used to cook steaks, combine demi-glace, sherry, and ¼ cup water over medium heat. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until warm throughout.
- Place a serving of potatoes and Brussels sprouts on a plate. Place a steak against potatoes and pool demi-glace in front of steak. Garnish Brussels with Parmesan cheese.